Cascade Brewers FAQ

Lane County Homebrewing

  1. Where can I buy homebrewing supplies locally?
  2. Homebrew supplies can be found locally at Falling Sky Homebrew Shop and Home Fermenter Center.
    Club members, who present their membership card, are eligible for a 10% discount on most purchases (excludes large equipment items and the like).

  3. What kind of water treatments will I need?
  4. (answer coming)

  5. What club resources are available to me?
  6. (More info here - mailing lists, etc.)

  7. What are the water profiles for Eugene and Springfield?
  8. In general, both Eugene and Springfield have water that is relatively neutral in minerals. This gives the town a "Pilsen" style profile.

    Both EWEB and SUB have basic water reports on their websites:
    EWEB (look for most recent year)
    SUB (look for most recent year)

    Both of those reports are very basic. It is suggested that you have your water tested by a lab to get all of the pertinent information on minerals that you'll need to build your personal water profile. Ward Labs is a well respected and used resource by many homebrewers.

    In terms of what to do with this information, it is strongly suggested to read John Palmer's section in How to Brew on water adjustments and mash pH.

    Other resources that can be useful:
    Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski
    Bru'n Water - Created and updated by Martin Brungard

  9. Where can I buy hops locally?
  10. Many people in the club grow their own hops and have a surplus.
    That said, both Falling Sky and Home Fermenter stock a wide variety of hops locally (use that 10% discount!) and routinely smaller hop yards in the valley will contact us with fresh hops when the season is peaking.